Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

The meaning of friendship.

Google knows everything, right? Well, hereby the results of the meaning of friendship:

A true friend is someone who sticks by you when you are down and celebrates with you when you are up. It's someone you trust. It is someone who understands you, knows the real you and appreciates the person you are. (Yahoo search result)

  • I have friends I talk to everyday day. 
  • I have friends I can only take in small doses. 
  • I have church friends, ones I only see on Sunday. 
  • I have work friends, ones I only see at work. (Yahoo search result) 

Friendship is a relationship of mutual affection between two or more people. Although there are many forms of friendship, some of which may vary from place to place, certain characteristics are present in many types of friendship. Such characteristics include affection, sympathy, empathy, honesty, altruism, mutual understanding and compassion, enjoyment of each other's company,trust, and the ability to be oneself, express one's feelings, and make mistakes without fear of judgment from the friend. While there is no practical limit on what types of people can form a friendship, friends tend to share common backgrounds, occupations, or interests, and have similar demographics. (Wikipedia)

I guess we all have a different perception of friendship, all that matters is that you and your friend(s) are on the same page. I always considered myself to be kind of a loner, not much of a peoples-person, preferring spending time with The Boss, at all times. How off have I been? I must be grateful to my friends, for being as open-minded as they are, considerate and thoughtful, as they were quietly waiting for me to figure it out. On my own, of course, 'cause that's just how I roll. After all these years I could still send them a text, without thinking twice of being judged or turned down, because I knew they'd be there. Same as I'd be there for them.

Or the new friends I've made, without realizing I had. I'm not a fan of labelling, so it doesn't happen very often I actually call somebody a friend. While in fact: they are. The ones you can send a text, trying to appear cheerful, but in reality you're breaking down in the middle of a mall, and they simply reply: 'Wanna come over?' Thankful, that's how I felt at that specific moment, as if I'd been saved. Saved by someone else than The Boss, on whom I've always depended  to be my rescuer. It has opened my eyes, which had been closed for so long. It's good to see again.

No comments:

Post a Comment